We hope you have had a relaxing holiday and have enjoyed quality time together. We look forward to seeing you back at school, which recommences at 8.50am on Wednesday 27th January. The asphalt will be supervised from 8.30am and classrooms will open from 8.45am to allow staff to welcome children into their new learning environments. Children are to go straight to their new classrooms. School will end at 3.00pm. A special welcome to all our new students and families due to commence at West Lakes Shore. Please pop in to speak to our friendly front office staff should you require any support.
COVID-19 SITE INFORMATION
Whilst we’ve had a rather calm holiday period and have managed to get out and about in Adelaide, the world is still being impacted significantly with COVID. This means a few site regulations remain in place, including:
- Families may now enter school grounds to drop off and collect children.
- Family members must not enter classrooms and should adhere to the 1.5m social distancing requirements. We understand this can impact some children and will ensure staff are available outside buildings to help your child enter classrooms safely.
- All family members attending a pre-arranged meeting must sign in using our school COVID processes in the front office.
NEW STAFF AT WLSS
We welcome the following staff to our school:
- Hayley Gladigau as a Year 2 teacher in ST2
- Darrien Newcombe as a Year 4 teacher in P3
- Craig Lancaster as a Year 6 teacher in SD7
- Rose Stone and Sarah Howard who will jointly share the Japanese role.
- Tony Caridi who will be an additional support at site for grounds and maintenance.
- Jasmine Nottle will also join the SSO team.
- We also welcome back Christina Savas (SS1) and Wendy Banks (Performing Arts) who have been on Parental Leave in 2020.
Staff have spent considerable time throughout the holiday period organising and preparing their learning spaces, and planning an engaging curriculum for the term ahead. This term our whole-school Connected Curriculum will be titled ‘Living in Harmony’ and will focus on supporting children to develop their personal and social capabilities and their empathy, compassion and understanding of working and living with other people. Our termly values focus will align with respect and supporting students to respect the different beliefs, opinions and individuality of each other. As an inclusive school we work with children with a wide range of needs and endeavour to support every child’s social, emotional and academic needs. Jacqui Thomas will be taking on the role of Wellbeing Teacher in a full-time capacity. Please do not hesitate to email any information that can support your child/ren to your child’s class teacher.
As part of this term’s learning we will host a whole-school day of action linked to Harmony Day. Other events include Sports Day and Aquatics for Year 6 and 7. Swimming for Reception to Year 5 has been moved from Term 1 and we will trial running it in 2021 in weeks 9 and 10 of Term 2. Further details about Term 1 events and key information will follow. A provisional date of Monday 8th February has been set for our annual Acquaintance Evening. This is a time for you to meet and greet your child’s new teacher and see their classroom in a more informal capacity.
Enjoy the first day as your child/ren start(s) their new learning journey. We look forward to teaching, supporting and guiding them to grow as individuals.
Carol Press and the WLSS staff