Message from Dr Elliott
Thank you to all of our families for the ongoing support of the College and your daughter’s remote learning program. It is so encouraging that our Zoom attendance rates are still very very high. Please remind your daughters that turning up to class is compulsory, in the same way it would be compulsory here on campus. Turning up means:
be on time;
have your camera on with microphone;
be modestly dressed;
be prepared in a good, well lit workspace
Not turning up is the same as missing class at school. Students can expect that their teachers will try to find out why they are missing. We are all locked down, so we should all be equally available to attend classes. This is how we stay connected and keep moving forward, in spite of the lockdown restrictions.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact your child’s subject teacher.
Dr Greg Elliott
Zoom lessons - cameras and microphones
One of the things the students are missing most in this period of lockdown is the opportunity to engage with others, to chat to their friends and to work with their peers. We are finding that students are engaging better with their zoom lessons when they have their cameras on and when they contribute to class discussions. Class teachers will ask students to turn their cameras and microphones on when they think this will make the zoom lesson more engaging and effective or when students are in breakout rooms working collaboratively. Please encourage your daughter to turn on her camera and microphone when asked and to participate in the lessons as much as possible. We understand that sometimes technology does not work and students may not be able to turn on their cameras and microphones. Unless they have already communicated with their teachers, please ask your daughters to email their teacher to let them know if they are not able to turn on their cameras and microphones when asked during a lesson.
Many of your daughters would be on the Tik Tok social media platform. Last Monday evening a joint investigation by the ABC’s Four Corners and Triple J’s Hack current affairs programs explored issues surrounding this platform. There was quite a bit of social media talk after the program, including among parents and some of our teachers. A teacher shared a summary of the program with me. Unfortunately, I don’t have credit details for the writer but I saw the program and I think it’s an accurate summary:
“Some interesting take-aways from the Four Corners/Hack investigation into TikTok ...
** Most important: if you or your child is struggling with mental health issues - I would be very, very careful using this app.
1. The app uses your data and constant face scans to predict your physical and mental health issues and then can serve up content which exploits that issue.
2. It's racist and ableist showing fewer videos posted by people of colour and those with disabilities. Also it doesn't ''favour'' videos made by overweight or ''ugly'' people.
3. It can take two months to change your ''feed''. Even then the algorithm was still serving up triggering/inappropriate harmful content. The filters and settings essentially mean nothing. People who were actively blocking pro-anorexia/ disordered eating content were still having it served up in their feed.
4. There is a massive issue with the app serving up harmful videos (calorie counting/ how to hide an eating disorder/ how to not eat) for those people vulnerable to disordered eating.
5. It is accessing videos and photos on your device regardless of whether you have uploaded them to TikTok.”
I highly recommend parents look at this material.
Mr Greg King
Assistant Principal (Wellbeing)
Year 11 2022 Subject Selection Interviews
Parents, carers and students are invited to book an interview with one of the leaders in the College if you have questions about Year 11 subjects for next year. These interviews will be held via zoom on August 9 and 10 between 3 and 4pm. If you would like to discuss any questions with one of the leaders, please email Mrs Elaine Manders firstname.lastname@example.org who will make a booking for you.