At Willoughby Public School we have a number of students with a
LIFE THREATENING NUT / PEANUT ALLERGY.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
Even a small trace of nut, peanut or nut/peanut product may trigger a severe allergic reaction called Anaphylaxis, which attacks the immune system leading potentially to death within minutes.
This reaction can happen by taste, touch and sometimes can be airborne. All of these students have access to an adrenaline injection in the form of an Epipen, which can save lives. Photo posters are displayed in the classrooms, canteen, staffroom, playground bags and sick bay for easy identification of these children.
Willoughby PS works with parents/carers to support students in developing an awareness of their allergies and what foods to avoid. Students are encouraged not to share food and to always check with a parent/adult/teacher if unsure at any time.
HOW CAN YOU HELP TO KEEP WPS STUDENTS SAFE?
Please help us by not including peanut or any nut products in your child’s lunchbox. This includes peanut butter and Nutella.
Please avoid products with any nuts/peanuts listed as an ingredient.
Explain about nut/peanut allergy to your child and encourage the ‘no food sharing’ rule.
Please consider what you are sending for birthday treats to share with the class, checking there are no nut products included.
The school canteen does not serve products containing nuts.
It is only with the continued support of all parents and staff that we can effectively maintain a safe school environment for these children.
Thank you for your understanding. We know you will want to support the school and these children.